Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

My friend Paul introduced me to Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog a couple of years ago and, quite frankly, I have no clue why I haven't mentioned him here as yet. Who is Triumph?

Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, to give him his full name, is a puppet created and performed by Robert Smigel. The puppet premiered in 1997 on NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Apparently Triumph is a Yugoslavian Mountain Hound. Triumph often puffs a cigar, which usually falls out of his mouth when he begins speaking. You have to wonder why he keeps puffing. But hey, that's part of the appeal. The absolute crudeness of the 'puppetry' behind Triumph (Smigel's arm is often clearly visible in the shot) adds to the character's popularity.

There are a couple of cracking clips involving Triumph doing the rounds on the Internet. Naturally, my favourite involves Star Wars, and Triumph 'reporting' from the premiere of 'Attack of the clones'. Give it a few minutes, let yourself go and just enjoy Triumph's unusual style of reporting. My God this is funny.






..if you liked that, you'll love the others. His appearance outside 'Neverland' during the Wacko Jacko trial is almost painful to watch it's so funny.

Many, many more Triumph excerpts here.

Altogether now, 'I....am a huge nerd!'



.

Comments