Playing baseball in Ireland

Hi Mr. Eklof. My name is Tom Moriarty. I came across your website tonight and wanted to ask you a couple questions. I love the game of baseball and love Ireland and my Irish roots. I have thought about possibly playing baseball in Ireland some time down the road (I'm a senior in high school this year, so I'm thinking after college). How hard is the Irish Adult Baseball League to break into? How do you go about it? Also, would I be eligible to play on the Irish National Team even though I do not live in Ireland? I understand you must get a lot of these emails, but if you have the time to respond I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks,
Tom


Nice to hear from you Tom. This is a question I get asked often. I will break your query down into sections, hopefully the following covers all angles for you.

''How hard is the Irish Adult Baseball League to break into?''

It couldn't be easier. First of all, the league is entirely amateur, and played largely on weekends. It is, to all intents and purposes, a recreational league. The standard varies wildly. There is an A and a B league and in the A league Ireland best players, European standard level, play against players of all abilities, from high to low. There are many solid players in the league, however a player with any experience at all would be able to make any of the current lineups.The league needs new players, and indeed new teams, so the more the merrier.

Things to bear in mind

  • The league runs from (roughly) April to September
  • Most games are played at the O'Malley baseball facility in Corcaigh Park, Dublin
  • Most teams are based in Dublin (there is one in Belfast too!)
  • You are not paid to play, it is a recreational league

''How do you go about it?'' 

Joining the league could not be easier. Go to this page  and send an email to whoever is the league coordinator at the time. If you don't get a response, send an email to the president of Irish baseball, Mike Kindle, mike@baseballireland.com.

''Also, would I be eligible to play on the Irish National Team even though I do not live in Ireland''

The National team requirement is basically that you have a current, valid Irish passport. On top of that, you may be required to travel to Ireland two weeks or more prior to any International tournament for training, that varies year to year depending on the requirements of the team.

For more information on joining the Irish National team, please contact Sean Mitchell @ sean@baseballireland.com

If you have any further queries, drop me a line!

Baseball in Ireland needs support to grow, we need not only players, but umpires, coaching, score keepers and other volunteers to help the game grow on the emerald diamond. If you think you can help in any shape or form drop me a line and I can help you get involved.

cormac.eklof at gmail.com






.




Comments