The win didn't come easy, against a Blacksox side trying their best not to slip to 0-2 to start the 2009 campaign. Indeed the game was tied going into the fifth inning. The Canes had struck first, and took a 2-1 lead into the third. The Blacksox hit back and had a 3-2 lead of their own before the Canes evened things up in the fourth. Then in the fifth the wheels came off a little for the Blacksox defence and the veteran Canes club took advantage, piling on the runs.
The Canes situational hitting was excellent, with Alex Bettancourt in particular, crushing the ball all day long. Defensively the Canes turned in another professional performance. Most of all, Captain Steve Divito pushed all the right buttons, making a couple of key substitutions at just the right time in order to take advantage of some defensive miscues on the part of the opposition.
After taking the 9-3 lead and with the pressure off the Canes cruised through the last two innings to nail the big 'W' down.
Previous games from 2009 Irish baseball season
Links to note:
- Baseball Ireland official site
- 2009 Irish baseball league schedule
- A one on one with Irish league coordinator Brendan Scott
- Play baseball in Ireland for the Dublin Hurricanes
- Directions to the O'Malley fields at Corcaigh Park
- The Dublin Hurricanes on wikipedia
- Understated Dodger legends (Peter O'Malley and the fields @ Corcaigh park)
If you would like to get involved with Baseball Ireland at any level, Adult or Youth, or would like to support the game in Ireland, please refer to this link