Ceoil. Pride. Baseball.

Feeling very Irish on a Thursday night The following is taken from 'Pitching in' A section that dabbles in Nationalism, pride and what it means to play for your country


A huge part of being on a National Team is representing your country. Some people would question a player who lives in the States but plays on the Irish Baseball team. My question to those people would be, who exactly are you to decide 'where' someone is from?


Pair of brown eyes
The Pogues



I think my own situation is a perfect example of this. I was born in Connecticut, in the States, my father is American born and bred but my Mother is Irish, through and through. I have spent 90% of my entire life in Ireland, I went to school in Ireland and I have worked, largely, in Ireland since leaving college, with the exception of a four summers in Cape Cod and some time in Boston.


Gangs of New York - Dark Moon, High Tide



I have both Irish and U.S. passports, and I am proud of both. So, where am I from? I really can't answer that question, I am a mongrel. I love my Fathers side of the family as much as I love my mothers.

Damien Dempsey - rainy night in soho



When we played in the States on the Rhode Island tour of 2001 I got goose bumps when I heard both the Irish and the American national anthems played before games. I went just as crazy when Ray Houghton scored that dramatic winner against England in 1988 as when the Patriots won the 2001 Superbowl. What does that tell you, apart from that I watch too much sports?!

Damien Dempsey - the rocky road to Dublin



I am what I am, a mix of Irish/American that I am very proud of. I don't believe anyone has the right to question either of my 'nationalities' or my loyalty to either.

Thin Lizzy - whiskey in the jar



The Irish National team is full of stories like my own, and that is one of the factors that makes our first ten years of existence as a team so special. The team is an amazing mix of people, but the one common defining facet was that they all got a tremendous sense of pride when wearing the Irish jersey.

Damien Dempsey - spraypaint backalley



It was that pride which led to several dramatic, against the odds, victories down the years, and it was that pride that held the team together when times were bad.

the Pogues - Body of an american



Teamwork



the Pogues - dirty old town




Tens of thousands of Munster fans - the fields of athenry

Comments

Unknown said…
Tried to get that going in the bleachers at Fenway 2 weeks ago. Just ended up being me and one other.
Unknown said…
The fields that is