70's dreamin'..

These incredibly cool pictures of US President elect Barack Obama, printed in the Guardian, got me thinking about the seventies.

''The pictures, taken in 1980 by Lisa Jack, a fellow student at Occidental University, lay forgotten in her basement for years until she hunted them out during the election build-up.''

Seriously, how cool would it have been to have been a twenty year old back then? I am wildly jealous of my father and his brothers and friends. Pretty much everything was cooler in the 70s, from what I can see anyway.

The NBA? Way, way cooler. Instead of over paid babies, and cash printing superstars who are just biding time torturing one fan base before moving to another, more lucrative one, you had cool, smooth dudes like Daryl Dawkins, Tiny Archibald and Bill Walton.

Darryl Dawkins on the week where he broke two NBA backboards "I didn't mean to destroy it. It was the power, the Chocolate Thunder. I could feel it surging through my body, fighting to get out. I had no control over it."

MLB, way, way cooler. You think Oscar Gamble would get away with his hair do on the current Yankee squad?

The NFL looks like it was pretty cool in the 70s too. The Patriots, for one, looked cooler.


Stevie Grogan - when men were men and shoulder pads were tiny


Anyway, the moral as always, 70s good, everything else, bad. Playing us out tonight, the immortal Tim Buckley with the superb 'Buzzin fly'.





.

Comments