Dona Chepa - One million to one outsider

If you are going to lose, might as well make it a record.

This one goes out to anyone who has never won anything, ever. Couldn't believe this story when I first started reading about it. Dona Chepa, a 9-year-old brown mare, finished last in a six-horse field at Camarero Racetrack in eastern Puerto Rico on Wednesday, a 125th consecutive loss that is believed to be the longest in horse racing history. I wonder did the jockey pump his fist as he crossed the line? I also wonder, did anyone back Done Chepa? If so, did they know a record 125th consecutive loss was on the cards? If they did, I wonder if I can get in a card game against them?

Seabiscuit - no relation, at all, to Dona Chepa

I absolutely love this part of the story, which I read this morning;

''Track spokesman Joe Bruno said Wednesday's loss surpasses an equine losing record of 0-124 set by Australian horse Ouroene, who raced from 1976-83.''

Great, well, if 'Joe Bruno' said it, it's golden, no doubt about it! Joe Bruno. Good lord. I am so using that next time I need to give a figure of authority a fake name. Saying it without laughing will be the only challenge. That is also going to be my handle in poker rooms from now on. Would you go all in against someone called Joe Bruno? You would think twice at least, right?

Dona Chepa actually comes from a distinguished line of champion racers, although you wouldn't know it from her results to date. Dona began her woeful ways poetically on Valentine's Day in 2001. That is six years of losing races. That's hard to do. The closest she came to victory was in May 2003, when she finished second. Incredible. 125 races and zero wins.

Next time you are feeling unlucky, next time you are playing in a friendly house game of poker and you keep getting 2/7 unsuited, just think about poor Dona Chepa. At least your not doing that bad, right?


.

Comments