How's your Papelboner?
Jon Papelbon is the 'new' Red Sox closer -it's official

Well now that's what you call a news headline. Woke up this morning to this little doozy in my email inbox, sent by the good people at the Boston Globe's website.

Breaking Sports Alert: Papelbon returns to bullpen as Red Sox closer

Jonathan Papelbon and Terry Francona confirmed this afternoon that the Red Sox are abandoning the experiment to convert him to a starter and that he will continue as the team's closer.

This little newsflash was music to my ears on a couple of levels. First and foremost, this instantly makes the Red Sox bullpen one of the premiere bullpens in the Major Leagues. It's not just that Papelbon was simply born to close. The knock on effect through the entire bullpen can not be ignored. With Papelbon ready to come rolling out of the gates in the 9th it means every other reliever knows his role and can relax and settle into less stressful roles than closing. Suddenly the Red Sox have one of the better collection of setup men in the Majors.


Secondly, well, now I have a total shut down closer for my team in the .406 Club Fantasy Dynasty Keeper League. Here's how the famous moment went down at the time;

With the 41st pick of the .406 Club Dynasty Fantasy Keeper League, the Dublin Sharks, of Dublin, Ireland, managed by DaddyMac22, selects Jonathan Robert Papelbon. Thank you.

Finally, I wonder, can I actually claim to have called this move? Is that okay with everyone? I know I suggested Lester over the actual choice (Tavarez) but still, I was close, right?

Comments